Sunday, August 28, 2016

Another jeans refashion

Hi all! Have you heard of The Refashioners? It's an annual series hosted by Portia at makery.uk. This year, the theme is jeans. During the whole month of August guest bloggers show their inspiring creations. But there is also a sew-along, and since I love refashioning (especially denim), I decided to play along. So I went to the thrift store and returned with these two jeans...
Which I turned into this jacket...
I figured it would be hard to top my previous jeans refashion, but wanted to give it a try nevertheless. So I decided to make a denim 'military-inspired' jacket. I wanted to use the typical features of a military jacket -triangular cuffs, shoulder pads, and the (what's it called?) button placket- but in a subtle way. Furthermore, I wanted to reuse the original jeans details, but in such a way that they really got a new purpose, without the jacket looking obviously refashioned.
Thus, I went to the thrift store to find two pairs of jeans with similar weight and in different shades of blue. I used the lighter pair for the bodice and triangular cuffs, and the darker pair for the sleeves, button placket, collar and reverse applique at the front. To accentuate the features, I used bright red and gold topstitching thread. Initially I used regular thread, but I'm really glad I switched to topstitching thread. It really defines those features and adds a nice pop of color.
In my attempt to give the original details of the jeans a new purpose, I removed the zippers from both jeans and added them to the sleeve cuffs. 
Furthermore, I cut the back panel from one of the legs, with the characteristic inner seam in the center.
And I reused belt loops and buttons to keep the shoulder patches in place.
The inside was lined in yellow knit and red cotton, both from my stash. 
I added ribbing on the inside of the sleeve cuffs, to make them extra soft and comfortable. 

The jacket closes with a zipper (from my stash). The buttons are purely decorative... To be honest, I'm still a bit afraid of button holes, and I figured a zipper would be much more kid-friendly.
 The pattern is self-drafted. I originally drafted the pattern for the circus jacket that I sewed last winter. For this jacket, I adapted the sleeves, added the button placket and waistband.
 It was a fun puzzle to create the jacket, involving many 'magical' turning moments like this one...
... sewing the sleeve lining to the outer sleeve. 
I'm happy with the result, and so is my daughter! (Yes, that's a marshmallow in her hand... her payment for the photoshoot)
Thanks for the challenge, Portia!

Thursday, July 21, 2016

A tiger in the jungle


 
I spotted a tiger in the jungle....
(After earlier sightings of panthers in the woods)
Prawling through the tall grass...
Wild and gracious
With fierce and focused eyes....
and soft and sensitive ears...
Glowing in the late sunlight

Pattern: Adapted Bethioua mini from Ellepuls (free pattern)
Fabric: jersey from local fabric market

A tiger in the jungle


 
I spotted a tiger in the jungle....
(After earlier sightings of panthers in the woods)
Prawling through the tall grass...
Wild and gracious
With fierce and focused eyes....
and soft and sensitive ears...
Glowing in the late sunlight

Pattern: Adapted Bethioua mini from Ellepuls (free pattern)
Fabric: jersey from local fabric market

Monday, July 4, 2016

Boy Sewing Week - raccoon tee

Hi all, you can find me over at Our Chez Nous, where I'm guest posting for Boy Sewing Week
If you're curious about the creation of this tee, or want to get inspired about boy sewing, hop on over to Our Chez Nous...  






Pattern: Hacked Bethioua Mini (free pattern)
Fabric: Heathered knit from local fabric market
Raccoon painted with fabric paint

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A striped bethioua

Ouch... it's June already and this is my second post of 2016. At this rate, I'll have four posts up by the end of this year.
The past months have been extremely busy with other activities and my sewing machine was left untouched the whole time. But last week, I suddenly felt the urge to create something again.
 Since I was feeling a bit rusty, I started with a simple shirt; the free bethioua mini from the German pattern designer Ellepuls. This is the free version (size 86-98) of a pattern that's also available as a  kids' and women's pattern. 
It's a really fun pattern: the front looks like a regular raglan...
 But at the back the sleeves continue to form a curved yoke. A fun detail that allows for many variations: stripe matching, adding piping.
It's always fun to play with stripes.... 
 So I used two matching striped knits from my stash, found at the local fabric market years ago. To add some color, I used red ribbing for the neckline and cuffs.
Fast, simple and fun. The best way to get back into it.